Nutella Turtle Tart
- The name of this recipe rolls right off your tongue! It's no wonder since the
chocolate & hazelnut flavors delightfully tingle your taste buds.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, peeled, and chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 sticks butter, diced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (11-oz) bag caramels
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz semi-sweet dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp Nutella
- 1/2 cup cashews chopped
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, peeled, and chopped
- Ice cream or whipped cream
- To prepare the crust, start by preheating the oven to 350°F. In the bowl of a food processor, process the hazelnuts and sugar until smooth (the consistency of small crumbs). Add flour and salt, pulsing until blended, then the butter and vanilla. Process again until a dough forms. Remove from the food processor and form a ball. Loosely cover in plastic wrap. Cool in the refrigerator until the dough begins to firm up.
- On a clean, dry, and lightly floured surface, roll out the dough about 1" larger than your 10" tart shell pan. Lift the dough into the pan, smoothing out so that the dough forms to the inside of the pan. Trim off excess around the edges.
- Using a piece of aluminum foil, line the top of the dough. Place pie weights, dried beans, or rice to weigh down and “blind bake” the crust. Bake for about 20–30 minutes, or until the crust is light brown around the edges and feels slightly firm to the touch. Remove from the oven. Cool completely and then remove the weight and foil.
- To prepare the first filling, spread Nutella across the bottom of the cool tart shell with a small spatula or the back of a small spoon.
- To prepare the second filling, place unwrapped caramels into small saucepot. Add the cream and vanilla. Heat on medium, stirring occasionally until melted and liquid is incorporated. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly, yet still able to be poured. Pour
3/4 of the caramel mixture into the tart, evenly covering the bottom of the tart shell. Reserve the remaining caramel for topping the tart. Refrigerate until cool and set.
- To prepare the third filling, put a heat-resistant bowl on top of a small saucepot filled with water. Heat on medium. Place the chopped chocolate, heavy cream, and Nutella into the bowl, whisking until melted and the ingredients, especially Nutella, are incorporated. Let cool slightly. Pour the chocolate mixture over the caramel layer, carefully smoothing out the top to completely cover the caramel.
- To prepare the topping, mix together the two nuts in a bowl and sprinkle over the tart while the chocolate layer is still warm. Let cool in the refrigerator until just set, about 10 minutes. Rewarm the remaining caramel mixture. With a spoon, drizzle back and forth across the top of the tart to make a lattice. Return the tart to the refrigerator and cool for at least 2 hours until completely set.
- When set, slice into wedges and garnish with ice cream or whipped cream.