Eggs Benedict with Avocado Cream
- A hearty breakfast is exactly what your morning needs. By getting creative with the cream sauce, protein & grains, we made a few ingredient swaps while staying true to the classic.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and scooped out of the skin
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1-1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp tabasco
- 6 slices uncured turkey bacon
- 6 slices plum tomato
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 loaf crusty multi-grain bread, sliced 1'' thick
- 1 small red onion, shaved very thin
- 6 cilantro sprigs
- To prepare the sauce, place the avocado, yogurt, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and tabasco into the bowl of a food processor. Purée until smooth. Check for seasoning and set aside.
- To prepare the main eggs benedict, warm the turkey bacon in a small skillet, browning lightly on both sides. Remove from the skillet and keep warm. Add the tomato slices to the skillet to warm through, then keep warm. Meanwhile, toast the bread slices and keep them warm while cooking the eggs.
- In a small saucepot, fill with 1 qt water. Pour in the vinegar. Heat until just barely bubbling. Crack the eggs, one at a time, into any small shallow bowl. Carefully slide the egg—at just above the water level—into the saucepot, keeping in mind that you may want to only poach 2 eggs at a time until you're comfortable with the process. Using a slotted spoon, gently make sure the egg doesn't stick to bottom of pot. Poach until the outside is formed, and the inside fells still slightly loose when gently poked. Remove the cooked eggs to a bowl with the slotted spoon. Dab away excess water from the edges of the cooked eggs with a paper towel.
- To assemble the entire dish, place a slice of toast onto 6 individual plates and spoon a small amount of avocado cream overtop. Next, and in this order, layer a tomato slice, bacon slice, and an egg. Spoon more avocado cream on top. Garnish with shaved red onion and cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately.