Caramelized Garlic & Onion Bisque
- The sweetness of caramelized garlic & onions is infused into every spoonful of this smooth soup.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4-1/2-5 lbs onions, peeled and sliced
- 12 cloves peeled garlic
- 2 large shallots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups leeks, cleaned and large diced and cleaned
- 1-1/2 cups sherry
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and each cut into 6 even-size pieces
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1-1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream, heated
- In a 5- to 6-qt Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter on medium heat. Cook the onions, garlic, and shallots, stirring
frequently until caramelized, about 20–25 minutes. Put in the leeks and sauté until soft. Add the sherry, stock, thyme,
potatoes, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Being careful of the hot liquid and doing in batches, purée the soup in a blender until smooth. Stir in the heavy cream.
Ladle the soup in bowls and enjoy!
- Optional: You can always stir in the jam of the Bacon Jam Bruschetta with Apple Slaw or serve the complete recipe
alongside your soup.