Breakfast in a Biscuit
- How do you get your family out of bed on a lazy Saturday morning? Serve them Breakfast...in a Biscuit! Settle in for this taste of home and let the picky eaters substitute a filling of their own.
This recipe is prepared with the KitchenAid 9 Cup Exact Slice Food Processor with French Fry & Dough Attach (K41122).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces and kept refrigerated
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 lb loose breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups refrigerated, shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To prepare the biscuit dough, combine the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the ingredients resemble a coarse meal. Add the milk, while pulsing, and mix until just combined. Empty the mixture onto a floured work surface. Knead the cheese into the mixture, but be careful not to over-knead. Divide the dough into 8 round mounds about 3" wide. Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and place the sheet on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the dough cool slightly.
- As the dough bakes, make the filling. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage to the sauté pan and crumble it as it cooks. When the sausage has browned, add the flour and stir until evenly coated. Stir in the milk and bring the mixture to a simmer for 1–2 minutes, or until the milk has thickened. Stir in the hash browns, salt, and black pepper. Set the mixture aside and keep it warm.
- To assemble the dish, carve a hole in the center of each biscuit (to make your bread bowl). Place about 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese in the bowl. Prepare your eggs as desired. Scoop about a cup of the warm filling into each bowl. Top each biscuit with eggs and serve.