French Bread Pizza Salad
- Meats, cheese, bread & vinaigrette were meant to be tossed together!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1 lb plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2-1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 2-1/2 tsp dried oregano, divided
- 3/4 cup, plus 3 Tbsp, extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup green peppers, medium dice
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 8–9 cups sourdough or rustic bread, cut into 1" cubes and toasted
- 1/2 cup mini pepperoni, sliced, or regular pepperoni, small dice
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, medium dice
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the tomatoes, flesh side up, on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 tsp salt, 1-1/2 tsp oregano, and 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the peppers, mushrooms, and onions with 1 Tbsp olive oil and spread out on another baking sheet. Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast the vegetables for 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, make the vinaigrette in a large mixing bowl. Combine the vinegar, water, 3/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp oregano, sugar, garlic, and black pepper.
- When the vegetables are done, remove them from the oven and let cool. Peel and discard the skins from the tomatoes, then large dice the tomato.
- In the mixing bowl with the vinaigrette, add the bread, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, onions, pepperoni, olives, mozzarella, basil, and parsley. Fold the ingredients together. Let the salad marinate for 20–30 minutes, mixing every 5 minutes.