Chicken Burrito Skillet
- Forget the white rice & tortilla wrap—this out-of-the-box burrito satisfies your cravings in a smarter way. Chicken, quinoa & low-fat cheeses help keep the recipe in check.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup red pepper, medium dice
- 1 cup onion, medium dice
- 1-1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (10-oz) can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 2 avocados, medium dice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a 12" skillet, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until it begins to brown. Toss in the red pepper, onion, and garlic, sautéing until the onions begin to turn translucent, about 3–5 minutes. Season with the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and cayenne. Cook for another minute. Put in the chicken stock, tomatoes, beans, corn, and quinoa. Stir and cover with a lid.
- Let simmer until the quinoa is cooked, about 15–20 minutes. Remove the lid. Sprinkle the cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, followed by the scallions, and cover with the lid. Allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve in the skillet with avocado, cilantro, and lime wedges.