Tropical Coffee Cake
- Put a slice of paradise on your plate with this smarter alternative to rich coffee cake. Applesauce, coconut oil, honey, and real fruits make it truly unique.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup banana chips, crushed
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups heart-healthy or reduced-fat baking mix
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup pineapple, small dice
- 1 banana, chopped into small pieces
- To prepare the topping, use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and cream together the coconut oil and honey. Add the banana chips, macadamia nuts, oats, and cinnamon, then mix until combined. Set aside.
- To prepare the cake, start by preheating the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8" cake pan with cooking spray. Put the baking mix into a medium-size bowl. In another small bowl, combine the egg, coconut milk, applesauce, and honey. Add the liquid ingredients to the baking mix and stir until combined. Fold in the pineapple.
- Spread the batter into the cake pan, top with the chopped banana, and crumble on the prepared topping. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.