Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 (15-oz) can pumpkin purée
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1-1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (4-oz) margarine, softened
- 1 (16-oz) box confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9'' x 13'' baking pan.
- To prepare the bread, whisk together the pumpkin purée, eggs, oil, applesauce, orange juice, vanilla, and both sugars in a large bowl until well blended. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Pour half the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture and stir to combine. Then pour in the rest of the dry ingredients, mixing until just blended. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- For the icing, cream together the cream cheese and margarine in a medium bowl until smooth and free of any lumps. Mix in the vanilla and lemon juice. Add in the confectioners' sugar and whip until light and fluffy. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Serve each slice of bread with a dollop of icing and a sprinkle of orange zest.