Mashed Acorn Squash with Apples
- This fresh, flavorful fall recipe will bring a new flavor profile to your Thanksgiving table. Plus, it can be made in the NuWave so you needn't crowd the oven.
This recipe is prepared with the NuWave Pro Plus 8-in-1 Digital Oven with 2-Piece Baking Set (K41625).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 stick butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 large acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- Oil, for brushing squash
- Salt and pepper
NuWave Oven Preparation:
- Place the apple halves in a bowl and toss together with the brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Place the coated-apple halves cored-side-up and any of the leftover brown sugar mixture onto the silicone baking pan. Top each apple half with a piece of butter. Place it in the bottom of the NuWave oven.
- Brush the flesh of the squash with oil and season with salt and pepper. Using the extender ring of the NuWave, place the squash, flesh side down, on the 4" rack and place it in the oven. Bake on high for 30 minutes. Turn the squash and apples over and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Using a pot holder to hold the squash, remove the flesh with a large spoon and place it into the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth. Add the apples and the cooking liquid and pulse until the apples are in small pieces. Serve.
Conventional Oven Preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare as directed above, but place the apples and squash on two baking sheets. Roast for 45 minutes and then puree as directed.