- Try an English favorite at home with this classic side dish.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup water, cool
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup pecorino cheese
- 1.5 oz fontina cheese, grated, optional
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Select a muffin pan for baking, preferably a larger one with 6-oz portions. A traditional muffin pan can also be used.
- In a small pot over medium heat, cook the butter until the solids begin to brown. Remove it from the heat and add 1 tsp butter into each cup of the muffin pan. Transfer the muffin pan to the oven and bake for 5–10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the eggs, beef stock, water, milk, and pecorino cheese. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until a smooth batter forms.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven and fill each cup just past halfway with the batter. If using the fontina cheese, add a pinch on top of the poured batter.
- Bake in the oven for about 15–20 minutes, until the batter has risen and is golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve.