Watermelon Salad with Cornbread Croutons
- That summertime classic, watermelon, makes this salad extra refreshing for warm-weather meals.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1/2 cup day-old cornbread, cut into 3/4" cubes
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 oz halloumi cheese, cut widthwise into 6–8 (1/2" thick) slices
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup English cucumber, cut into half moons
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bottle store-bought champagne or red wine vinaigrette
- 6–8 watermelon wedges, rind trimmed, cut like the halloumi
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and the grill to medium-high heat.
- Lightly spray the cornbread cubes with olive oil or cooking spray and season with the salt and pepper to taste. Place the cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for 5–10 minutes, until golden brown and just crispy. Set aside to cool.
- Gently pat the halloumi cheese dry with paper towels, then lightly spray it with olive oil or cooking spray. Grill each side for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the arugula, cucumber, and red onion. Lightly dress this mixture with the vinaigrette and place on a platter.
- Arrange the watermelon and halloumi over the arugula mixture, then top with the cooled cornbread croutons and mint leaves. Serve immediately.