Makes 3 Quarts
- These watermelon pickles are sure to be a hit at summertime picnics & parties.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2-1/2 cups watermelon rind, prepared per below
- 1-1/2 cups Tropical Punch Kool-Aid, prepared per package directions
- 2 fresh ginger slices, 1/4" thick
- 4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp allspice berries
- Prepare the watermelon rind before cutting into pieces and pickling. Wash and dry the watermelon thoroughly. Use a vegetable peeler to remove all of the outer (green) skin.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the top and bottom of the watermelon. Cut the watermelon into quarters and lay them rind-side down. Cut away the rind, leaving about 1/2" of the flesh attached.
- Flip the rind slices, flesh-side down. Cut them in half lengthwise, then into 1/4"–1/2" horizontal slices. Next, cut into 1" pieces.
- To pickle, bring all the ingredients, except the watermelon rind, to a boil in a medium-size stockpot.
- In a separate container, pour the hot liquid over the watermelon rind, making sure the rind is completely submerged. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Cover the container and transfer it to the refrigerator. Store for up to 1 month.