Warm Cabbage Salad (or Krautsalat)
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 apple, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon and smashed garlic clove in a skillet until the bacon is crispy. Remove and break the bacon up into pieces. Discard the garlic clove.
- Drain off most of the bacon fat, leaving about 2 tsp of fat in the pan. Add the onion to the pan and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the vinegar and sugar, and then immediately add the cabbage and caraway seeds. Toss the cabbage in the pan for 5–7 minutes or until it just starts to wilt slightly.
- Remove from the heat and add the diced apple and cooked bacon and season to taste with salt and pepper.