Slow Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic and Herbs
- 4 pounds Roma tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- Coarse or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 225°F.
- Cut the Roma tomatoes in half and spread out on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Drizzle the olive oil generously all over the tomatoes and toss the tomatoes a little to distribute evenly. Sprinkle the minced garlic and chopped herbs over the top and season well with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Roast for about 5 to 6 hours (yes, six hours). Longer is better in this recipe, but if you have to take the tomatoes out early, it's not a disaster.
- Serve tossed in a pasta dish, spread on a crostini, or accompanying chicken, meat or fish.
- Store in a jar, covered in a little olive oil, in the refrigerator and do your best not to snack on them constantly!