Slow Cooker Tropical Tapioca
- Tapioca has always been one of those mystery recipes for me. I certainly love eating it, but I never actually made it…until now. The slow cooker makes the cooking process really simple and we added pineapple and toasted coconut for a tropical flair.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 3/4 cup small pearl tapioca
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 (13.5-oz) cans light coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh pineapple, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- Lightly grease the inside of a 6-quart slow cooker with oil spray. Place the tapioca, milk, coconut milk, and salt into the prepared insert and stir to combine. Set the slow cooker on high, cover, and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Thoroughly whisk together the sugar, vanilla, and egg in a small bowl. Temper the egg mixture by stirring in 1 cup of the tapioca. Then, stir the tempered egg mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for an additional 20 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Turn off the slow cooker. Stir the pineapple into the pudding.
- Transfer the tapioca to a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap. Allow the pudding to cool at room temperature for 1 hour and then chill it in the refrigerator for several hours, or overnight. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top of each serving.