Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
- This Swiss steak recipe is done in a slow cooker to help you get a homemade dinner on the table on a busy weeknight. Serve it over mashed potatoes or egg noodles for a comfort-food standout.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lbs cube steak (about 4 steaks)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10.5-oz) can French onion soup
- 1 (14.5-oz) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-oz) can tomato sauce
- Mashed potatoes or egg noodles, for serving
- Put the cube steak, flour, salt, and pepper into a large, resealable plastic bag. Shake the bag until all steaks are coated.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the cube steaks in the skillet, cooking for 3–5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove the steaks and place in a slow cooker.
- Add the onion and carrot to the skillet and cook for 1–2 minutes, until slightly softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked vegetables, thyme, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, French onion soup, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce to the slow cooker and gently stir.
- Slow-cook on high for 4–6 hours or on low for 6–8 hours, until meat is fork tender. Serve over the mashed potatoes or egg noodles.