Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken
- Simple, yet tasty! This roasted chicken has all the ingredients for a delicious dinner.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 4–6 lb whole chicken
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped, plus 3 sprigs
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half crosswise
- 2 lemons, halved and divided
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, cut into 8 wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels inside and out.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the butter, lemon pepper, and chopped thyme.
- Rub the butter underneath the skin and all over the outside of the chicken. Place the thyme sprigs, rosemary sprig, garlic, and 2 lemon halves inside the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Season the outside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a 12" cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the chicken to the pan breast-side up. Scatter the onion wedges and remaining lemon halves around the chicken.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 30–45 minutes, until the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F. Remove the chicken from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the roasted lemon halves over the chicken and serve.