Shrimp & Grits
- This famous pair is famous fare! Make your own delicious duo at home.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 Tbsp blackened/Cajun seasoning
- 2–3 Tbsp oil
- 1.5 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grits
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 small andouille sausage, diced
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Sliced green onion or chopped parsley, for garnish
- To prepare the shrimp and grits, start by preheating the oven to 400°F.
- Combine the blackened seasoning and oil in a mixing bowl, then add the shrimp and toss to thoroughly coat. Place the shrimp on a nonstick or parchment-lined baking sheet. Set aside.
- Add the butter, salt, chicken stock, water, and milk to a medium sauce pot. Bring the ingredients just to a boil, then whisk in the grits, stirring constantly for the first couple of minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15–20 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the last 5 minutes, add the Parmesan cheese and sage.
- When the cheese and sage are added, put the shrimp in the oven and bake for 6–8 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce and serve, add the butter, pepper, onion, and sausage to a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Once the veggies begin to soften and become fragrant, add the chicken stock and lemon juice. Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- When ready to serve, spoon the grits into individual bowls, then divide the sauce and shrimp evenly between them, keeping the shrimp on top. Garnish with the green onion or parsley.