Roasted Garlic Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed potatoes get their own mashup! Add a few extra ingredients for an out-of-this-world Thanksgiving side.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1 head garlic
- Couple tsp olive oil
- 2.5 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2–3 Tbsp, plus more to taste, salt
- 6 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 8 oz fontina cheese, shredded
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the top off of the head of garlic, exposing the cloves. Coat them well with olive oil. Wrap the head in aluminum foil and roast in the oven for 35–45 minutes, until golden brown and the cloves are soft. Once the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze to get out the roasted cloves. Mash the cloves with a fork or the back of a spoon to form a paste.
- In a large stockpot, add the potatoes, 2–3 Tbsp salt, and enough water to cover the potatoes by .5". Bring the potatoes to a full boil, then reduce the heat until just boiling. After about 20 minutes, check to make sure the potatoes are fork-tender all the way through.
- Drain the potatoes into a strainer and allow all of the excess water to drain off.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the potatoes on low speed. Add the butter. Once the butter has melted and is fully incorporated, put in the mashed roasted garlic and buttermilk. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Add in the fontina cheese and serve immediately while warm.