Potluck Market Soup
- A trip to the farmer's market can inspire new varieties of this soup…my recipe is just the beginning!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 leeks, green leaves removed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large golden beet, peeled, cut into quarters, and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (28-oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 10 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 lb yellow wax beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1"–2" sections
- 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1"–2" sections
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb small Yukon gold and/or purple potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (garnish)
- In a 6-qt stockpot over medium heat, cook the leeks in olive oil until they begin to soften. Add the garlic, beets, and carrots, sautéing until they also begin to soften. Stir in the tomato paste and sauté briefly, then incorporate the chopped tomatoes, tomato juice, and stock. Bring to a simmer. Add the yellow and green beans and simmer until just crisp tender.
- If you choose to add any other vegetables or protein leftovers, toss them into the stockpot now and simmer until cooked through.
- Next, add the salt, pepper, potatoes, and corn. Simmer until potatoes are almost tender. Put in the peas, beans, and fresh herbs and simmer for about 10 minutes. Check for proper seasoning.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and enjoy!