Pineapple Upside-Down Bread Pudding
- After much debate, we decided to categorize this dish as a breakfast...but I voted for breakfast, lunch, dinner, AND dessert! Yes, it's that good!
- To prepare this dish in the oven, place the bread pudding in a greased, 9" x 9" casserole dish, cover it with aluminum foil, and place it on the center rack of the oven. Place a casserole dish with 3 cups of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven. Bake the bread pudding at 325°F for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking, 20–25 minutes longer.
This recipe is prepared with the Ninja 4-in-1 6-Quart Multi-Cooker with Recipe Book & Travel Bag (K41333).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 cups (12-oz) challah bread cut into 3/4" cubes
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 tsp whole milk
- Grease the Ninja multipurpose pan with cooking spray and set it aside. Whisk together the milk, condensed milk, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl until evenly incorporated. Set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the chopped pineapple and cook, stirring, for 8 minutes, or until lightly brown and all the moisture has evaporated.
- Place the cubed bread and 1-1/2 cups of the cooked pineapple into the egg mixture and toss. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes until the bread has absorbed all the liquid. Meanwhile, place the remaining cup of cooked pineapple on the bottom of the prepared pan. Pour the bread mixture on top and evenly distribute.
- Pour 4 cups of water into a Ninja 4-in-1 cooking system pot. Place the metal rack inside, then place the prepared pan onto the rack. Set oven to 325°F and set the timer for 50 minutes. Do not lift the lid during the baking process.
- When timer beeps, remove the pan (with the rack) and allow the bread pudding to cool. Meanwhile, pour the glaze ingredients into a small bowl and mix until evenly incorporated and slightly thick. After 15 minutes, unmold the bread pudding onto a serving platter, drizzle it with the glaze, and serve immediately.