Piña Colada Ice Cream
Makes 1 Generous Qt
- Cool down on a hot summer day with a scoop of tropical ice cream!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cups coconut milk
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 tsp rum extract
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk, milk, pineapple, and rum extract. Over
medium heat, bring the mixture to just about a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- Using a whisk, mix about 1/3 of the heated milk mixture into the egg mixture. Introduce the new egg mixture into the milk mixture in a slow stream, whisking the liquid in the saucepan constantly.
- Immediately return the saucepan to the heat and gently whisk for about 2–3 minutes, or until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Chill the mixture until cold.
- Pour the mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.