Open-Faced Pot Roast Sandwich
- I've never been more excited about a sandwich...food doesn't get more comforting than this. Enjoy each and every bite and share the love!
This recipe is prepared with the Power Pressure Cooker XL (K42415).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3.25–3.5 lb chuck roast, cut into 2 large pieces
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves peeled garlic, smashed
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 8 slices potato sandwich bread
- 8 slices extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Add the oil to the inner pot of a pressure cooker and activate the browning setting. One at a time, brown each piece of chuck roast and then turn the unit off. Place both pieces of browned chuck roast into the cooker. Add the wine, stock, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Place the lid on the cooker and close the pressure valve. Set the cooker timer on high pressure for 50 minutes. When timer reaches zero, turn the cooker off. Open the pressure valve and release the steam. When the steam has released, remove the lid.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the meat from the cooker and place it in a casserole dish, leaving the broth and vegetables in the cooker. With 2 forks, shred the meat into 1" pieces and set it aside. With a fork or potato masher, crush the carrots into the broth. Activate the browning setting and sauté for 5 minutes. Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. When the broth and vegetables come up to a simmer, stir in the cornstarch mixture, salt, and pepper. Simmer until thickened. Turn the cooker off. Add the meat back into the cooker and stir until coated with the sauce.
- Lay out the slices of bread on a baking sheet. Divide the meat mixture over the bread and top each "sandwich" with a slice of cheese. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Power Pressure Cooker XL Prep Tips:
- To brown the meat, use the "Meat/Chicken" setting and adjust the time to 20 minutes. Use "Warm/Cancel" to turn the unit off.
- To pressure-cook the meat, secure the lid, close the pressure valve, and hit the "Meat/Chicken" button. Adjust the time to 50 minutes. Hit "Warm/Cancel."
- To make the gravy, use the "Beans/Lentils" setting. When thick, hit "Warm/Cancel."