Mixed Berry & Cream Cheese Strudel
- It's blasting with berries! The fruity flavor makes this strudel a winning dessert.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 5 oz cream cheese, softened
- 5 Tbsp confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz fresh blackberries
- 3 oz fresh raspberries
- 3 oz fresh blueberries
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1-1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 sheet puff pastry, room temperature
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 Tbsp sanding sugar
- 1 Tbsp sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the cream cheese, 3 Tbsp confectioners' sugar, and vanilla.
- In another mixing bowl, add the blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, lemon juice, the remaining 2 Tbsp confectioners' sugar, and cornstarch. Gently toss until all the berries are coated. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle approximately 13" x 10". Place the pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Spoon the cream cheese filling in the center of the pastry, leaving 1" on all sides. Place the berry filling on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Cut crosswise strips, about 1'' apart, down the length of the longer sides of the pastry, making an equal amount of strips on each side. Fold in the top and bottom ends from the shorter sides over the filling, and then braid the flaps of the dough by lifting the top strip and gently bringing it diagonally across the filling. Tuck it slightly and seal the strip into the pastry next to the filling. Repeat on the right side. Continue down the entire length, alternating strips as you go, creating a braided pattern.
- Once the pastry is completely braided, lightly brush it with the egg wash. Sprinkle on the sanding sugar and almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 25–35 minutes until deep golden brown. Let the strudel cool almost completely before slicing.