Maple Bacon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Yields 18 cupcakes
This recipe is prepared using the Prepology™ 18-Piece Cupcake Baking & Decorating Kit (K38932).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2-1/8 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp maple extract
- 1-1/8 cups half & half
- 12 thick-cut, maple-cured bacon strips, chopped and cooked until fat is rendered and lightly browned
- 24 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 stick (3-oz) margarine, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp maple extract
- 6 thick-cut, maple-cured bacon strips, cut into 3 pieces and cooked until fat is rendered and crispy
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and set aside. Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the eggs and the maple extract and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and half & half, alternating, in 2 batches. Be sure to mix well after each addition. Add in the chopped cooked bacon and mix until evenly distributed.
- Fill the paper-lined muffin pans 3/4 of the way full with batter. Bake the muffins for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let them cool before frosting.
- Cream together the cream cheese and the margarine with a hand mixer in a medium bowl until smooth and free of any lumps. Next, mix in the maple extract. Add in the confectioners' sugar and whip until light and fluffy.
- Refrigerate the frosting until you're ready to serve the cupcakes.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the top section of a double boiler. Dip each piece of the bacon into the chocolate, until half is covered in chocolate.
- Place the bacon pieces onto the prepared cookie sheet. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set.
When ready to serve the cupcakes, frost them using an icing spatula or a piping bag fitted with a pastry tip. After frosting, place a piece of chocolate-covered bacon on each cupcake and serve.