Mac & Cheese Cheesesteak
- Inspired by the Mac Mart Cart food truck, this Philly staple gets a mac & cheese makeover.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 cups onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups red and green peppers, sliced
- 3 lbs thin-sliced steak sandwich meat
- 2 cups cooked macaroni
- 2 (15-oz) jars Cheez Wiz
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 slices white American cheese
- 8 sub rolls
- Sliced banana peppers, optional garnish
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, pour in the oil. When hot, add the onions and cook until golden brown. Toss in the peppers and cook until softened. Remove the vegetables from the sauté pan and reserve.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add half of the steak using 2 spatulas, one to hold the meat and the other to shred the meat (it should look chopped). Follow the same process with the remainder of the meat until the steak is fully shredded and cooked. If a lot of moisture has collected in the skillet, drain out some of the liquid.
- Stir the macaroni into the skillet, followed by the Cheez Wiz, onions, and peppers. Reserve a few veggies for topping, if desired.
- Cover all of the meat with the American cheese and fold in the slices. Divide the prepared cheesesteak into the rolls and serve. Garnish with sliced banana peppers, if desired.