Lemon Thyme Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
- 3 – 4 lb. chicken
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 slices of lemon
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest, finely minced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, finely minced
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 Tbsp. coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 turnips, cut into wedges
- 2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 small red potatoes, cut into halves or quarters
- Clean the chicken by removing the giblets, rinsing with water, and drying thoroughly with paper towel. Brush the chicken all over with the olive oil.
- Make the rub by combining the garlic, lemon zest, thyme, salt, and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the chicken, both inside the cavity and all over the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, or preheat the BBQ grill for 10 – 15 minutes. If you’re using a BBQ grill, create an indirect cooking area by turning off one of the burners, or moving the coals to one side of the grill. The indirect cooking area will be the area with the turned off burner, or the side of the grill with fewer coals.
- Pour the white wine into the center of the chicken roaster dish. Add the thyme sprigs and lemon slices. Place the chicken over the center of the chicken roaster dish.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and place them in the chicken roasting pan around the chicken. If you’re using a BBQ grill, pour white wine over the vegetables so they’re barely covered. Roast or BBQ (over indirect heat) the chicken until the internal temperature of the inner thigh meat registers 165°F on an instant read thermometer. The timing will depend on how big a chicken you’re roasting. A 4-lb. chicken will take about 75 minutes.
- Allow the chicken to cool for 4 – 5 minutes on the chicken roaster dish. Carefully remove the chicken and serve with the roasted vegetables.