Italian Grilled Sausage Sandwich
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 large green or red bell peppers, or a mixture of both, sliced into wide strips
- 2 large onions, sliced into rings
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 lbs Italian link sausage, mild or hot
- 8 Italian or steak sandwich rolls
- Preheat a barbecue or indoor grill to medium-high.
- Sauté the onions in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat until slightly wilted. Add the peppers and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the sausages lengthwise and place them on the grill. Cook thoroughly until brown on all sides.
- To make sandwiches, place two slices of mozzarella cheese inside each bun followed by a sausage. Top with the onions and peppers.