- Get that dine-out feel at home with this easy, terrific side. Think of these as overloaded potatoes—but better because they're smothered in goodness before baking.
- No NuWave oven? Simply prepare this in the conventional oven. Just be sure to preheat it to 350°F before you begin preparation.
This recipe has been prepared with the NuWave Pro Plus 8-in-1 Digital Oven.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3-1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1-3/4 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut 1/4" slits into the potatoes widthwise, stopping just before you cut through, so the slices stay connected at the bottom of the potato. Place the potatoes in a 2-1/2-quart round casserole dish.
- Combine the stock, butter, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and thyme in a medium-size bowl. Pour the mixture over the potatoes, making sure to get some of the liquid in between the slits. Sprinkle 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp pepper over the potatoes. Place the casserole into the NuWave oven and set the timer for 45 minutes; set the cooking temperature to 350°F.
- While the potatoes are baking, heat the oil in a medium-size skillet. Add the onions, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Sauté, stirring often, on low to medium heat until the onions have caramelized, about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat to cool.
- When onions have cooled, mix them together with the sour cream, garlic, scallions, and remaining salt and pepper.
- When the potatoes have finished cooking, remove the NuWave lid and top each potato with cheese. Replace the lid and set the timer for 1 minute and temperature back to 350°F. Remove the potatoes from the oven and serve with the sour cream mixture.