Ham & Apple Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- 8 oz ham, sliced
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 4 oz Swiss Cheese, sliced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Powdered sugar (optional garnish)
- Divide the ham slices equally among four slices of bread. Place the apple slices and Swiss cheese on top of the ham and cover with the other four slices.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and salt in a shallow bowl. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and dip both sides of each sandwich quickly in the egg mixture; place in the hot skillet 1 or 2 at a time.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the cheese is melted and the tops are nicely browned. Top each sandwich with powdered sugar, if desired.