Grilled Sausages with Homemade Mustard
- 5 lbs assorted fresh sausages (seafood, andouille, merguez, Italian, chicken, and/or pork)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2–1/2 Tbsp brown mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup drinking-quality white wine
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced (about 2 Tbsp)
- Pinch ground allspice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Drizzle the sausages with the oil, place them on the grill, and grill for 7 minutes. Next turn them over and cook for another 7 minutes. Note: cooking times will vary based on the type of sausage. You'll be able to tell they're cooked through when the juices run clear when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Next, make the mustard. In a non-reactive bowl, combine all ingredients and refrigerate overnight, covered.
- Transfer the mustard mixture to a blender and process until mustard has obtained the desired texture and thickness; it's equally delicious whether you leave it chunky or smooth. Store in an airtight, non-reactive container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe provided by Emeril Lagasse.