- 1 lb. dried rotini or fusilli pasta
- 4 or 5 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges or 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 half red onion, thinly sliced and soaked in cool water for 10 minutes (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup of Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1–1/2 – 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or mint
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Pinch dried marjoram
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, red pepper, and olives in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, marjoram, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad by adding the cooked pasta to the vegetables, tossing in the feta cheese, and adding as much dressing as you like (you may have some left over).
- Finally, toss in the fresh basil or mint, and season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature in a serving bowl or over a bed of greens on a large platter. Serves 6 – 8.
Recipe supplied from Meredith Laurence's cookbook, Blue Jean Chef: Comfortable in the Kitchen.