Gluten-Free Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Gluten-free foodies, rejoice! Not only is this mac and cheese gluten-free…it's also really, really yummy.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups roughly chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 (8-oz) package gluten-free elbows
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups half and half
- 2-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Place the oven rack near the bottom of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Fill a 5-quart stockpot with water and add the salt. Bring the water to a rolling boil, add the cauliflower, and cook for 7–9 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove the cauliflower with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same water, cook the gluten-free elbows according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Dry the stockpot, add the vegetable oil, and place it back on the stovetop over medium heat. Add the onions, both peppers, and black pepper and cook until tender, about 6–8 minutes. Add the Velveeta, half and half, and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until the cheeses are melted. Add the cooked cauliflower and pasta and stir until evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1–1/4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese on top and bake for 25–30 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. Let the pasta sit for 10 minutes before serving.