Double-Stack Black & Blue Burger
- Inspired by Aioli Burger in Phoenix, AZ, this blue cheese burger with aioli sauce is perfect for a hungry eater.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1–2 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, thinly julienned
- 8 (5-oz) burger patties
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 brioche or potato burger buns, toasted if desired
- 2–3 oz baby arugula
- 8 slices blue cheese or 5 oz wedge blue cheese, sliced or crumbled
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
Black Pepper Aioli:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1–2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 to 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- To start preparing the burgers, preheat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the oil to the hot skillet, then the onion. Stir occasionally.
- Once the onions begin to get golden brown, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook and caramelize, stirring more frequently, about 15–20 minutes in total.
- To prepare the aioli, add the mayo, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper to a small mixing bowl and stir together.
- To cook the burgers and assemble, preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Grill the burgers about 3 minutes per side, then reduce the heat or move them to a cooler part of the grill. Let the burgers cook for another 3–4 minutes for medium, or to your desired doneness.
- Toast the buns, if desired.
- Assemble the burgers by spreading some of the prepared aioli on the bottom half of the bun, followed by a small handful of arugula and then a burger patty. Top it with blue cheese and bacon. Add the second burger patty and put on some of the caramelized onions. Spread more of the prepared aioli on the other half of the bun and place it on top.