- Inspired by the Nothing Better food truck, this sweet treat is cross between a donut & a croissant.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and tiny dice
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, plus more for garnishing
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 (8-oz) tubes refrigerated crescent dough
- 2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan, toss together the apple, cornstarch, cinnamon, and sugar. Add the water and bring it up to a low simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Remove the crescent dough from the tubes and roll out into a large sheet. Pinch together the perforated triangles. Using a 3" biscuit cutter, cut 8 rounds from each sheet for a total of 16 rounds.
- Take a mounded tsp of filling and place it in the center of 8 rounds. Top each filled round with an empty round. Pinch the edges together, making sure they're completely sealed.
- In a deep fryer or 2-qt heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat to 350°F. Fry in batches for about 2 minutes, turning them halfway through the cook time. Place the cronuts on paper towels and cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract, and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread about 1 Tbsp of this frosting on each cronut. Sprinkle cinnamon overtop.