Crispy Cottage Fries with Gorgonzola Cheese
- 4 - 5 medium potatoes (red, or another variety), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil (enough to fill a large skillet about an inch deep)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oil until hot in the large skillet. Carefully drop the potato and onion slices into the oil one at a time to prevent them from sticking together. Fry them fast; separate and turn the slices often. The potatoes (and onion) are ready when they're crisp and golden brown. Remove the cooked slices to allow more room in the skillet.
- Drain well on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese on the fries while they're still hot.
*For less crispy potatoes, make thicker slices and reduce the cooking time.