Cracker-Crusted Mac & Cheese
- Cheese on cheese on cheese! Cheese & crackers meets tried-and-true mac & cheese.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 cups cavatappi pasta
- .25 lb butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup whole-milk mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Velveeta cheese, diced
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 cup sharp provolone, grated
- 2 packs of cheese-filled crackers, roughly crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare the pasta according to instructions on package. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepot, over melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour and stir to form a paste. Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously. Bring it all to a simmer for 5–10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add all of the remaining ingredients, except for the pasta, provolone, and cheese-filled crackers. Cook, whisking continuously, until the cheeses have all melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Remove the saucepot from the heat and stir in the cooked pasta.
- Butter a 1- to 2-qt au gratin dish. Add the pasta to the au gratin dish and top with the provolone, then the cheese-filled cracker crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, about 20–25 minutes, then serve.