Crab Poutine Boardwalk Fries
- Seafood & boardwalk fries were meant to be eaten together!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1 ear of corn, kernels shaved off and cob reserved
- 1–1/3 cups cream
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, small dice
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/4 cup red pepper, small dice
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp, plus 1 tsp, all–purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp, plus more for seasoning, salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1–1/4 tsp, plus more for seasoning, Old Bay
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 6 oz jumbo lump crabmeat
- 8 oz fontina cheese, shredded and divided
- 24 oz crinkle–cut French fries
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- In the middle of a medium mixing bowl, stand up the ear of corn, holding it at the top with one hand. Using a knife, shave off the kernels from the cob. Break the cob in half. Place the kernels and cob in a small saucepan and add the cream. Simmer for about 10–15 minutes, then remove the cobs.
- While the corn mixture is simmering, add the butter, onion, jalapeño, and red pepper to another small saucepan. Sauté on medium heat for a few minutes until the ingredients begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another minute until it becomes fragrant. Whisk in the flour until it becomes almost a paste.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook for 2–3 minutes. Add the chicken stock, mustard, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and crab seasoning. Whisk constantly until it has thickened. While still whisking, slowly pour in the cream and corn mixture, making sure the sauce has a smooth texture with no lumps.
- Bring the heat back up to medium, simmer, and stir occasionally for about 10–15 minutes, until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. Stir in the lemon juice. Gently fold in the crab and about a 1/4 of the cheese.
- Cook your fries according to the package directions.
- Pile the hot fries onto a large platter, season with salt and Old Bay to your liking, and quickly top with the remaining fontina. Spoon the prepared sauce overtop and garnish with the green onion.