Recipe courtesy of Jill Bauer.
- While not quite cornbread and not quite muffins, these biscuits have that wonderful sweetness of cornbread as well as savory cheese and zesty jalapeños.
This recipe is prepared with the Mad Hungry 2-Piece AirBlade Knife Set with Sheaths (K41710).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1-1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup corn niblets, fresh, frozen (thawed), or canned
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeños, diced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk until combined. Using a fork, pastry blender, or your hands, add the butter pieces to the flour and mix until coarse little crumbles remain.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, egg and honey in a medium-size bowl. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. Stir with a spoon until just combined. Do not over mix. (You can also use your hands to bring the dough together.)
- Fold in the cheddar cheese, corn, and jalapeños. Use a 1/4 cup and drop the batter onto a nonstick baking sheet. Brush with buttermilk. Bake for 10–15 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown.