Coconut Cream Tart
- It's creamy & crowd-pleasing! End your meal or skip right to dessert with this sweet treat.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 60 vanilla wafer cookies, finely ground
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups toasted, shredded coconut, divided
- To prepare the crust, start by preheating the oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the vanilla cookies, sugar, and melted butter. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" tart pan.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- To prepare the filling, whisk the milk, heavy cream, coconut milk, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan. While stirring constantly, heat the milk mixture over medium heat until thickened and just about to simmer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup toasted coconut.
- To assemble and top the tart, pour the filling into the prepared cookie crust. Lightly cover the tart pan with plastic wrap and chill until set, about 4 hours or ideally overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and top the tart with the whipped topping. Sprinkle the remaining coconut overtop.