Classic Lasagna with Mozzarella-Stuffed Garlic Rolls
If you're preparing the lasagna ahead of time, follow the instructions up to the point of baking. Then, use a layer of plastic wrap and foil to seal the top. You can freeze the lasagna for up to 6 months. The day before you bake it, allow the lasagna to thaw in the refrigerator. If there's no time for thawing, just pop the lasagna in the oven frozen and add an extra hour to the baking time.
The lasagna in this recipe is prepared with the 13'' x 9'' baker and the rolls are prepared with the 9'' x 13'' Lid-It from the Temp-tations® Old World 16-Piece Oven-to-Table Set (K27938).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 (24-oz) jars of marinara
- 1 (32-oz) container of ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 package (12 sheets) no-boil lasagna noodles
Mozzarella-Stuffed Garlic Rolls:
- 1 store-bought pizza dough, cut into 20 1'' pieces
- 16-oz block mozzarella, cut into 20 cubes
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- To prepare the lasagna, start by making the meat sauce. Combine the sausage and ground beef in a large skillet and sauté over medium-high heat until brown. Add one jar of the marinara to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Next, prepare the cheese mixture and combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Spread half of the remaining jar of marinara on the bottom of a 13'' x 9'' pan. Lay four of the lasagna noodles over the marinara and spread half of the cheese mixture over the noodles. Next, spread half of the meat sauce over the cheese mixture and sprinkle 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese over the meat sauce. Repeat the layers one more time. Lay the four remaining lasagna noodles over the final layer and spread the rest of the marinara over the noodles. Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 1 hour. Then, remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove the lasagna from the oven.
- While the lasagna stands (for at least 15 minutes), prepare the garlic rolls.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400°F and lightly spray your Temp-tations® Lid-It (or a cookie sheet) with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and oregano.
- Flatten each piece of dough into a 2'' circle on a lightly floured surface. Place a mozzarella cube near the edge of the circle and roll the dough around the cheese. Fold and tuck in the edges.
- Place each roll seam-side down on the lid or cookie sheet. Then, brush the rolls with the butter mixture. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.