Christmas Morning Strata
- Wake & bake! Open presents, gather with family, then enjoy this make-ahead breakfast.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 16 oz tube breakfast sausage
- 1 cup onion, small dice
- 1 cup red pepper, small dice
- 10 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups half and half
- 3 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 6 oz fresh baby spinach
- 6 large plain croissants, cut into 1"–2" pieces
- Lightly coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and break it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks. When the sausage starts to brown, put in the onion and red pepper and cook until soft, about 2–3 minutes. Remove the mixture from the skillet, place it in a large mixing bowl, and let cool.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and half and half. Set aside.
- Once the sausage mixture has cooled, add 2 cups cheddar cheese, the spinach, and the croissant pieces to that mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
- Transfer the croissant mixture to the prepared baking dish. Evenly pour the egg mixture over the croissants. Top with the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese. Lightly coat a piece of aluminum foil with baking spray and cover the baking dish. Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the strata for 60–90 minutes, until set and the center reaches 165°F. Let it stand 5–10 minutes before serving.