Cheesy Mini Meatloaves
- Inspired by 5-8 Tavern & Grill in Minneapolis, MN, this recipe takes a classic meatloaf to a whole new level of flavor!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 3 mozzarella string cheese sticks, each cut in half
- 8 oz thick-sliced bacon, small dice
- 5 Tbsp zesty steak sauce
- 4 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1.5 lbs beef, pork, and veal meatloaf mix
- 1/4 cup onion, grated
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 Tbsp crispy fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the string cheese halves in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Heat a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy, about 8–10 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain the bacon on a paper towel and let it cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir the bacon, zesty steak sauce, brown sugar, and molasses together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the meatloaf mix, grated onion, Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, egg, milk, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley. Gently mix with your hands until just combined.
- Divide the mixture into 6 portions, about 6 oz each.
- Place the frozen string cheese halves on the prepared baking sheet. Form the meatloaf mixture around each in a small, slightly flattened football shape.
- Bake the meatloaves in the oven for 15–20 minutes. Remove the meatloaves from the oven and top them with the bacon glaze, then the crispy fried onions.
- Bake in the oven for 5–8 minutes more, until a thermometer registers 160°F, then serve.