- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup short grain white rice (like Arborio)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split open (or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract)
- Combine the raisins and rum in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for a couple of minutes and then remove from heat and set aside.
- Place all remaining ingredients into another saucepan. Stir well to ensure that vanilla seeds are dispersed throughout. Bring mixture to a simmer, reduce the heat, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally for 30–35 minutes or until the rice is soft and the consistency of the pudding is what you want it to be. (You can always loosen it with a little more half and half.)
- Remove the vanilla bean and the cinnamon stick from the pudding. Stir in the rum and raisins and serve with more half and half, if desired. Serves 2–3.
Thin leftover rice pudding with more milk or half and half. It will continue to get thicker as it sits in the fridge.
Recipe provided by Meredith Laurence. View more recipes by Meredith.