- 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 3 tart apples, cored & chunked; do not peel (I use Granny Smith)
- 1 lb roll breakfast sausage with sage
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups cubed whole wheat bread
- 3 cups cubed white bread (I like French)
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 cups chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1-1/2 cups pecan halves (optional)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Melt half of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender and lightly colored. Transfer the onions to a large mixing bowl.
Melt the remaining butter in the same skillet. Add the apples and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until lightly colored, but not mushy. Transfer the apples to the bowl with the onions.
Crumble the sausage into the same skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until lightly browned. With a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to the mixing bowl.
Add the remaining ingredients except the stock to the mixing bowl and combine gently.
Transfer the stuffing into a 13" x 9" casserole. Pour half of the chicken stock over the stuffing. Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes, adding the remaining stock about halfway through the cooking time.
Recipe provided by Jill Bauer. View more recipes by Jill.