Ham & Goat Cheese Sandwich
- 4 croissants, baked and halved lengthwise
- 8 tsp whole grain mustard
- 8 tomato slices
- 12 oz smoked ham, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- Goat cheese-chives béchamel sauce (recipe follows)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1-1/4 cups milk, heated
- 6 oz goat cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To prepare the bèchamel sauce, warm the milk in a small saucepan; set aside.
Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt, white pepper, nutmeg, and cloves; cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture cooks without browning, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the warm milk and continue to stir as it thickens. Allow the sauce to come to a boil and continue stirring for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the softened goat cheese and chives, and stir until the cheese is evenly incorporated and completely melted. Keep warm.
- Assemble the sandwiches on a cookie sheet, and start by spreading 2 tsp of whole grain mustard on the bottom of each croissant. Follow with an equal amount of ham and tomatoes and put the tops on each sandwich. Sprinkle each sandwich with Gruyère cheese and bake for 5 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler and broil the sandwiches for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned. Ladle the béchamel sauce over each sandwich and serve hot.
Recipe provided by David Venable. View more recipes by David.