Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 lbs Idaho potatoes, washed, peeled, thinly and evenly sliced
- 10-oz pre-cooked ham, diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the half-and-half and heavy cream together in a small bowl. Pour a 1/2 cup of the cream mixture into a 2.5- to 3-quart baking dish (you just want to cover the bottom).
- Carefully combine the ham, onion, 2-1/2 cups of Monterey Jack, 2-1/2 cups of cheddar, thyme, salt, and pepper with the potatoes in a large mixing bowl until evenly combined. Be careful not to break the potatoes.
- Evenly spread half the potato mixture in the baking dish. Top with half the remaining cream mixture (about 1/2 cup). Repeat with the remaining potato mixture and cream mixture. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and continue to bake until bubbly and brown, about 40 minutes. Let the dish rest 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe provided by David Venable. View more recipes by David.