- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced into 1/4'' thick rings
- 1–1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced into 1/4'' rounds
- 10 plum tomatoes, sliced into 1/4'' rounds
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into 1/4'' thick rounds
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and sauté for 15–20 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown and caramelized. Season with salt, to taste. Add the garlic to the skillet and sauté with the onions, stirring frequently for 1 additional minute. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Combine the Panko, Asiago, Parmesan, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium-size bowl.
- Pour the vegetable stock into a 9'' x 13'' casserole dish. Next, place the yellow squash in an even layer over the stock. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the breadcrumb mixture over the squash.
- Layer 1/2 of the tomatoes evenly over the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat with 1/2 of the onions. Sprinkle another 1/2 cup of the breadcrumb mixture over the tomato and onion layer.
- Next, layer the zucchini over the breadcrumbs. Spread the remaining onions over the zucchini. Sprinkle another 1/2 cup of breadcrumb mixture over the zucchini and onions.
- Finally, layer the remaining tomatoes over the breadcrumbs. Top the tomato layer with the remaining breadcrumb mixture. Drizzle a 1/4 cup of olive oil over the casserole. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour or until the squash is fork tender.
Recipe provided by David Venable. View more recipes by David.