Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 Tbsp Emeril's Original Essence, divided
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 qt buttermilk
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups flour
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Combine the salt, 1/4 cup Emeril's Original Essence, and sugar in a large plastic container or nonreactive stockpot. Add the buttermilk and stir to completely dissolve the salt and sugar. Immerse the chicken, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 or up to 24 hours.
- Combine the flour and remaining 2 Tbsp Emeril's Original Essence in a medium brown paper bag; shake to combine.
- Preheat an air fryer to 325°F.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and shake to remove excess. Add the chicken in batches to the flour and shake to completely coat. Remove and shake to remove excess flour. Place on a wire rack set over a baking sheet to rest until ready to fry.
- Fry the chicken in batches until golden brown and cooked through, about 14–16 minutes. Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Recipe provided by Emeril Lagasse.