Bourbon-Apple Cheddar Crostata
- With so many yummy flavors in one recipe, you're bound for deliciousness!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
Dough and Filling:
- 1 pack store-bought pie dough (2" x 9" round rounds)
- 1/2 cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 Tbsp butter, chilled and diced
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- Ice cream or whipped cream
- To prepare the dough and filling, start by preheating the oven to 425°F.
- Place the pie dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients, except the heavy cream, and toss to combine.
- Place half of the mixture in the center of each dough round and spread, leaving 1.5" of dough around the edges. Fold the edges of the dough up and over the filling, working with about 2" at a time to form an open-faced pie. Brush the edges with the heavy cream.
- To prepare the topping, combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pinch the butter into the flour until no visible traces remain.
- To top and bake the dough and filling, sprinkle the prepared topping over the dough and filling. Bake until the dough is golden around edges and underneath, about 20–25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 10–15 minutes.
- To prepare the bourbon toffee and serve the dish, combine the heavy cream and sugar in a sauce pot, bring to a boil, and simmer until thick, about 4–5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the bourbon.
- Drizzle over the cooled crostata and serve ice cream or whipped cream alongside.